Local historian: The Priory and The Brewery
By Ray Bickel
17th Nov 2023 | Local News
We now arrive at The Priory in our tour of historical buildings and streets.
Why The Priory? This is a mystery as Dawlish didn't have any religious houses. Any ideas?
Built with an elaborate external design in 1843/4, possibly for Cornelius Raleigh, who lived there soon afterwards. His ancestor was Sir Walter Raleigh.
The house was up for sale in 1858, and was described as a 'picturesque marine residence' in the Swiss style with six bedrooms, dining, drawing and breakfast rooms, a breakfast room, coach house, stabling and walled garden.
In 1928, it was bought by Cecil A Burdett, an optician with a shop on the Strand.
However, it had been converted by 1982 into a residential hotel, and is now divided into three apartments.
Built in 1817 by John Till, The Brewery was sold to Richard Ferris in 1824.
Ferris built a malthouse connected to The Brewery by a pipe. He also eventually owned 28 public houses in the area.
It was the largest business in Dawlish. It was added to with the Dawlish Mineral Factory which produced lemonade.
By now, the business had passed to his grandson Richard Brock Ferris. Having made his wealth he sold the business to Heavitree Brewery.
Heavitree Brewery kept the pubs but sold the brewery premises. It has now mainly been converted to apartments although the malthouse was demolished.
Ed: This article is part of local historian Ray Bickel's series on Dawlish history. Use the links below to read previous articles:
Part One: What were the origins of Dawlish?
Part Two: The origins of St Gregory's Church
Part Three: The history of Dawlish's churches
Part Four: The origins of the Lawn and Tuck's Plot
Part Six: The origins of Brunel's railway
Part Eight: The early days of the railway
Part 10: Pubs of Dawlish, past and present
Part 15: Historic houses of Dawlish
Part 16: Historic houses of Dawlish part II
Part 17: Historic houses of Dawlish part III
Part 18: Historic houses of Dawlish part IV
Part 19: Historic houses of Dawlish part V
Part 20: The history of Marine Parade