Dawlish: Firefighters put out Cofton Chippy blaze

By Will Goddard

30th May 2023 | Local News

Fire engine at the scene (Middlemoor Fire Station)
Fire engine at the scene (Middlemoor Fire Station)

Firefighters put out a fire in a fish and chip shop near Dawlish on Friday (26 May).

Crews from Teignmouth and Exeter were called to the scene at Cofton Chippy at around 4.50pm.

The cause of the blaze, which involved the cooking range, was accidental and reportedly started in the electrical fan box.

The fish and chip shop was left "moderately damaged".

Aftermath (Middlemoor Fire Station)

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Crews attended a fire within a chip shop involving the cooking range.

"Crews used four breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and two dry powder extinguishers. Crews also requested assistance from a fourth appliance.

"The fire was extinguished, and crews confirmed the cause as accidental. The fire was found to have started in the electrical fan box.

"Crews used an additional hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera, gas detector and two positive pressure fans.

"The chip shop was moderately damaged."


New dawlish Jobs Section Launched!!
Vacancies updated hourly!!
Click here: dawlish jobs


Related Articles

Looking towards The Priory from Priory Rd, Dawlish (Google)
Local News

Local historian: The Priory and The Brewery

County Hall, Exeter (LDRS)
Local News

Children in care in Devon surpasses 900 as budget pressures bite

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Dawlish with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.